Friday, April 24, 2009

A wee trip through the country...

I decided to sacrifice my pride and take a bus tour of the Irish countryside.  County Wicklow to be exact.  I figured I'd be the only person under the age of 60 on the whole bus, but I wanted a chance to take some pictures outside the city.  I was suprised to see that most of the other people on the bus were actually younger than me.  I guess that means I'm old.  Anyway, it was a rainy day (My luck with the weather on my first day is turning out to be a fluke) so not ideal for photos, but the scenery was gorgeous.  Here we go...

Rest stop, Ireland style.


Lach Tay the "Guiness Lake".  The white sand was imported to look like the head on a pint of guiness.  Seriously.


We were told this is "the bridge from P.S. I Love You."  Impressive.


These pits are left from when people used to dig peat to burn for heat.  Ireland has less than 17% of its peat left, so digging it has now been outlawed.


I didn't catch the name of this waterfall, but it's in a pretty idyllic setting.  Those little white dots are sheep.


Looking down the valley from the falls.  Could you get more quaint?


Look at the pretty flowers.


The rest of these are from St. Kevin's monastic site.  Gorgeous setting, wish we had better light and less rain.  Oh well.




Today was more rain.  I ended up spending most of the day sleeping and I think I'm finally caught up from my jet-lag.  Hoping for some decent weather tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Photos. I think the mists make them rather surreal.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home